Thanks to votes from visitors and fans like you in a recent USA Today poll, Riverbanks Zoo and Gardens in Columbia has been ranked in the top 10 best zoos in North America.
Riverbanks came in at no. 7 on the list.
“Columbia’s 170-acre Riverbanks Zoo & Garden houses more than 2,000 animals in naturalistic habitats free of bars and cages,” USA Today denotes. “Throughout its 40-year history, the zoo has earned many awards and recognition for its breeding programs for animals like the Toco toucan, Bali mynah, and black howler monkeys. The zoo also participates in 70 of the Species Survival Plans of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums.”
The zoo, who also celebrated 45 years of animal conservation last month, is excited about the honor.
We have been voted one of the 🔟 Best Zoos by USA TODAY 10Best
Thank you to everyone for your support 🐡🦓🐐🦜🦔🐅 we are so excited to be ranked 7th 🐊🦘🐠🦋🐦🦍 #WeAreRiverbanks
USA Today voted the Cincinnati Zoo as the nation’s best with their biggest draw being the internet-famous Fiona the hippo. Here’s the top 10:
- Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden – Cincinnati
- Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium – Omaha, Neb.
- Saint Louis Zoo – St. Louis
- Fort Worth Zoo – Fort Worth
- Columbus Zoo and Aquarium – Columbus, Ohio
- Cheyenne Mountain Zoo – Colorado Springs
- Riverbanks Zoo & Garden – Columbia, S.C.
- Memphis Zoo – Memphis
- Audubon Zoo – New Orleans
- Dallas Zoo – Dallas
For more information on Riverbanks Zoo, you can follow their website by clicking here.